I was sitting in a restaurant yesterday and overheard a very disturbing conversation. I won’t go into the details because they aren’t important. What was important was the fatalistic lack of hope in their conversation. They were bemoaning the idea that our country is going to…..well, I’m sure you can figure out where they think it is going.
Why is the Recession of 2008 a Gift?
I don’t agree with them. In fact, I have never been more hopeful for our nation. I believe our world, and our nation, is involved in an evolutionary process of transformation. What they failed to acknowledge is the important cultural awakening taking place not only in our country, but globally. I see overwhelming evidence that the collective human consciousness is awakening at a rate not seen in generations; perhaps ever.
The collective human consciousness is one of the most powerful cultural forces on the planet. It has the ability to shape not only the future evolution of human consciousness; it also has the power to shape the future evolution of our world’s social cultures. As any evolutionary scientist will tell you, the power of evolutionary change is especially evident whenever a life form is confronted with a life-threatening crisis.
In 2008, a very powerful recession brought our nation, and much of the world, to its knees. It negatively impacted our world in ways not seen since the Great Depression of the 1920’s. The pain it inflicted on both the poor and middle class cultures around the world continues to be overwhelming.
Turning Pain Into The Great Awakening
But the pain the recession inflicted on so many has also become the catalyst of the great awakening in human consciousness. For the first time in recent memory the collective consciousness of humanity is stirring.
People are waking up to the reality:
- -that our American democracy is quietly morphing into an oligarchy of the wealthy 1% who have the power to quietly influence and shape the future of our nation to their benefit
- of the growing inequality of wealth around the world; and the danger it posses to our the way of life of so many……the reality that the only “trickle” in our world’s trickle down economies is a floodwater of wealth that is flowing upward; not downward.
- of the danger to our American democracy when we assume that a corporation is a “person” in the 1% community; the 1% with multi-billions of dollars to influence public policy and purchase politicians.
- of global climate change and the danger of global instability caused by droughts and food shortages created by CO2 emissions
- that the middleclass in our nation has not grown in wealth in over two decades and is rapidly disappearing into poverty
- that intolerance, injustice, racism, sexism, and homophobia are forces of oppression that are still present in virtually every nation—including America.
- that the ranks of those living below the poverty line are growing and our nation’s minimum wage has even full time workers trapped in poverty.
- to the injustice inherent when women are paid 20% less than men while holding down the same authority and responsibility as men.
- to the reality that corrupt leaders and oppressive government’s around the world are directly responsible for the unnecessary pain and suffering experienced by so many people in so many nations
Thoughts About The Future
I could continue with more examples such as the plight of starving children around the world and melting ice caps; but the reality is clear. Humanity is awakening and beginning to wrestle with issues that have, for too long, been unconsciously ignored, denied, and avoided by our global human consciousness. Much of the violence and struggle we are witnessing around the world is a direct result of this awakening.
Humanity is no longer passively accepting the self-serving rhetoric of the 1% and corrupt politicians who intentionally distort the truth, or the world’s news media that is unable to openly discuss or expose those distortions.
Despite the pain it has caused for so many people, I believe that the Great Recession of 2008 has awakened our nation and the world
There is an old saying that says humans change “when the pain of where we “are” is greater than the fear of where we need to go, and the changes we need to make”.
Our world is giving voice to that reality. The giant is stirring. The consciousness of humanity is awakening to the reality that the path we have been sleepwalking on is not only dangerous to our human way of life, it is dangerous to the future of humanity itself.
The choices we make, or fail to make, always have outcomes and consequences. And sometimes it takes a crisis to remind us of that simple truth.
There is no doubt in my mind that the collective human consciousness of our world is waking up; that we are now facing the consequences of the choices we have unconsciously allowed others to make for us for so long.
I’m hopeful about the future, because the collective consciousness of humanity is a powerful force; and it is awakening both in our nation—–and around the world.